Job Title: Quantitative, Mathematical & Theoretical Biology Postdoctoral Fellowship – Harvard University
Date of Postdoc Position Posting: 3/25/2022
Postdoctoral Position Discipline: Mathematics
- Application Deadline: June 1, 2022
- Position Location: Cambridge, MA
- RUA Affiliated Institution: Harvard University
- Link to Institution Job Posting
We are looking for postdoctoral fellows to work at the interface between the life and mathematical sciences as part of Harvard’s Initiative in Quantitative Biology and its NSF-Simons Center for the Mathematical and Statistical Analysis of Biology. The purpose of our NSF-Simons Center and our QBio Initiative are to enable innovative research at the intersection between the mathematical sciences (including statistics and computational science) and the life sciences. We facilitate new developments of biology-inspired mathematical theories, methodologies, and innovative modeling approaches which advance the understanding of challenging biological problems.
We are especially interested in applicants whose graduate training is in mathematics, statistics, and/or computational science who are interested in applying their knowledge and creativity to biological problems.
Postdoctoral fellows will be embedded within a host faculty lab and are expected to make meaningful contributions to work in that lab. As members of the Center and the Initiative, postdoctoral fellows will have access to a vibrant, diverse community of scholars (faculty, postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduates) working across disciplines to identify “rules of life.” Postdoctoral fellows are not expected to teach or mentor, though they will have ample opportunities to do so. Postdoctoral fellows are expected to participate in core Center activities, including our weekly seminar.
Funds from the Simons Foundation will support the postdoctoral fellow for up to one year. The one-year appointment must start no later than September 1, 2022, and is not renewable. If the candidate wishes to remain at Harvard after the one-year appointment, an alternate source of funding will be required.
We seek new members to our Center; however, postdoctoral fellows who have started at Harvard no earlier than December 1, 2021 are eligible to apply. We are accepting applications until June 1, 2022. International applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to provide ample time to obtain appropriate visa sponsorship.
Ph.D. (preferably in mathematics/statistics/computational science).
Additional Position Details
- Opportunity for teaching: Yes
- Opportunity for supervision/mentoring: Yes
- Opportunity for community outreach and engagement: Yes
How to Apply:
Please submit the following materials through the ARIeS portal:
1. Cover Letter: Please describe the research opportunity in your proposed host lab and how your qualifications make you uniquely suited to enhance this research mission. 2. Curriculum Vitae: Please list your relevant education, training, and research activities.
3. Summary of previous research accomplishments (2 page limit + references) uploaded under the “Other” documents section.
4. Letter of support from proposed Harvard faculty host. The faculty letter should contain the following text: “To the NSF-Simons Postdoctoral Fellow Search Committee Please accept my support for Dr. XXXXX’s application for a postdoctoral fellowship from the NSF-Simons Center at Harvard. My lab seeks to embark on a new research endeavor at the intersection of the mathematical sciences (including statistics and computational science) and the life sciences: [insert description here] Dr. X’s training and expertise in [insert description here] will enable us to [insert description here] Dr. X will be appointed as a postdoctoral fellow in my department and will work full-time in my lab starting on [proposed start date here]. I recognize that, if awarded, the NSF-Simons fellowship provides up to one year of salary + benefit support, and does not cover research, travel, or other professional development expenses associated with the proposed project. I understand that the fellowship must start no later than September 1, 2022 and is not renewable. If the candidate is to remain in my lab after the one-year appointment, I recognize that other sources of support will be necessary. Most sincerely, [Insert faculty signature here]”
For further questions about the fellow search, please contact Rosa Capellan at email@example.com
Download a PDF copy of this postdoc position posting by clicking on the link here.